The first meeting of the Protestant Episcopal Society of Seymour Connecticut was held on February 20, 1797, at the home of Dr. Sanford. The purpose of the meeting was to establish a new parish. On March 23, 1797, land for the church was purchased from Leverret Prichard for $60. By early spring the cornerstone had been laid by the Reverend Edward Blakeslee, assistant to Dr. Richard Mansfield. Before winter, the building had been enclosed, but lack of funding caused a delay in completion of the interior. The wait lasted until 1816, when the church was finally completed. Consecration of the church, initially named Union Church, took place on September 2, 1817.
The colonial style building was equipped with slab benches and the only heat was provided by foot warmers. In 1859, a stove was given to the church by Deacon Isaac Kinney. At the same time, the benches were replaced by pews, each rented by a family. A Jardine organ was installed in 1831. The first rector was Dr. Richard Mansfield, who traveled by horseback between St. James Church in Derby and Union Church each Sunday.
The Sunday school was started in 1827, with classes held in the balcony of the nave. Also, in 1827 a bell was installed in the steeple. On Easter Sunday, 1853, the name of the church was changed to Trinity. Over the years many improvements were made. Seating capacity was doubled, and the interior was refurbished. The first altar was installed in 1867. A stained glass window, still in place today, was given by the Honorable Carlos French in 1891, in memory of his daughter Carlotta French.
Click here to email our parish office for more information: